I always thought that the old cemetery across the road was just another neglected London landmark. That it may be, but amongst its overgrown shrubs and creepy crawly vines are blackberry bushes galore. Say what you will about foraging for food in a cemetery, but I feel pretty darn lucky. Their luscious fruits are just beginning to ripen and I suddenly find myself with more blackberries than I know what to do with.
The skinny on blackberries
- The blackberry season is from late July to early October
- Blackberries get kind of gross after a day or two, so eat them straight away or freeze them
- Blackberries are rich in antioxidants, including vitamin C and ellagic acid, and their seeds contain high levels of omega-3 and -6 fats, protein, and dietary fiber
- Superstition in the UK holds that blackberries should not be picked after Michaelmas (29 September) as the devil has claimed them, having left a mark on the leaves by urinating on them
I have a few months before season’s end, and I’m all about a.) hoarding blackberries in my freezer and b.) experimenting with as many blackberry recipes as possible while there are still fresh blackberries to be picked. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, so I like the idea of a blackberry vinaigrette for salads. Even so, I really want to try my hand at jam, and I can’t resist a good cobbler. Here are some other recipes I look forward to experimenting with:
- Blackberry Slump – An American version of a fruit cobbler – just dripping in hot fruit sauce
- Apple and Blackberry Pie – a simple pie with simple ingredients from delia
- Spicy Blackberry Chutney – I can see this going well with cheese, or deep-fried Indian samosas!
- Vegan Apple and Blackberry Pie – a pie without butter? The author almost has me convinced: “The apples and pear were all warm and cinnamon-y, while the blackberries just exploded in your mouth with their tart sweetness. mmmm.”
- Quick Bramble Jelly – I somehow doubt this would be quick, but I bet the results would be worth it
- Blackberry-Lime Tartlets – these just look cute
- Blackberry Tart – a decadent tart made with mascarpone, cream, and mint!
- Blackberry Sorbet – It sounds so refreshing!
- Blackberry Vinaigrette – It’s an Emeril recipe. Bam!
Readers, I need your help! Do you have any blackberry recipes you can recommend? Send em’ over! I’m dying to try them!