Who says vegetarians can’t enjoy a barbecue just as much as the rest? Last Saturday’s barbecue was one of my most successful grilling attempts yet, thanks mostly to the Hot-Sauce Glazed Tempeh, one of my favorite recipes from the Veganomicon. This stuff is AWESOME on the grill, and I really nailed it this time. It seems there are a few secrets for working with tempeh:
- Boil the tempeh for 10 minutes before you marinate it
- Use a yummy marinade, something with a fairly strong flavor
- Marinate the tempeh for a good long while (at least an hour) before you cook it
- Cook it on a hot grill if you have one
- Baste the tempeh constantly as it cooks
But the tempeh was only part of the picture. Add to that grilled onions, peppers, runner beans, sweet corn and potatoes (the only part of the meal that wasn’t grilled), and I wound up with a pretty well-rounded, delicious and filling meal. Thus more proof that there’s more to vegetarian grilling than veggie burgers and sweet potatoes.
Food and Exercise Log | Saturday, August 29, 2009