When I stumbled upon Lukas Volger’s Veggie Burger Madness blog, I knew I had met a kindred spirit.
Lukas has been making and eating veggie burgers since he was a teenager, and he’s turned this passion and experience into a wonderful recipe book called Veggie Burgers Every Which Way.
What I love about Lukas’s approach is that his recipes don’t try to imitate meat, but instead, accentuate the veggies with which the burgers are made. His book comes with over thirty recipes for burgers, buns, toppings and sides, over half of which are vegan and/or gluten free.
I spoke with Lukas last month about vegan burgers, the elusive eggless binder, topping ideas and my own quest for the ultimate veggie burger. Lukas was kind enough to share some fantastic tips on making ace veggie burgers, plus a recipe for Mushroom Barley Burgers that are out of this world.
Visit my Ultimate Veggie Burgers Blog for my full review of Lukas’s Mushroom Barley Burgers plus Lukas’ Top 3 Tips from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way.
Mushroom & Barley Burgers
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 portabella mushroom
- 12 crimini mushrooms
- 10 shitake mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Steam or boil the potato until tender. Mash with a fork.
- Trim off the stem of the portabella mushroom and scoop out the gills. Chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Thinly slice the crimini and shitake mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Cook the portabello mushrooms and dried thyme for 6 to 8 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to soften and sweat. Add the crimini and shitake. Cook for 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have sweat off their moisture and it has dried up in the pan. Deglaze with the vinegar, scraping off browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer mushrooms to a food processor and coarsely grind. (Alternatively, chop the mushrooms finely by hand.) Combine the mushroom mixture with the potato, barley, salt, pepper, and mushroom mixture in a mixing bowl. Shape into 6 patties.
- In an oven-safe skillet or nonstick frying pan heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the burgers and brown each side, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Move the pan to the preheated oven and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until firm and cooked through.
Makes: 4 burgers
Amount per burger: 315 Calories | 11.3g Fat | 8.2g Protein | 51.2g Carbohydrates | 9.3g Fiber