Apples and Pears from the Orchard

From the orchard

From the orchard

Orchard in bloom

From the orchard

I’m overwhelmed with apples and pears at the moment. My challenge is that I don’t eat very many crumbles, pies, cakes or chutneys. I just don’t have a sweet tooth. Inspired by Carl Legge, I will definitely have a go at making apple cider vinegar (salads and cole slaw I DO eat). But what else?

I’m not totally adverse to chutney. The trouble is, most recipes say the chutney “goes well with cold meats and cheeses”, neither of which I really eat. So I need something a bit more versatile, something to go with veggie burgers, perhaps? Or with Indian food?

Here are a few recipes that strike my fancy:

Tell me, apple aficionados, what does a girl without a sweet tooth do with a serious amount of apples? I am open to suggestions. Who knows, maybe one of you out there has the ultimate apple pie / cake / crumble recipe that will make me change my ways!

8 thoughts on “Apples and Pears from the Orchard

1. Diana Morgan

I can let you have a lovely recipe for Ohio Chutney from “The Apple Connection” by Beatrice Ross Buszek. It features apples of course, plus chunks of orange peel which really add a zing!

2. Monica Post author

My dad’s side of the family is from Ohio, which automatically makes this recipe appealing (apple-ealing?). Yes, please share!

3. Stephanie

Tons of yummy looking ideas here for apples:

Ones that sound good to me are the squash apple soup, song of india rice, greens apples cheddar quiche…

My own suggestion would be to take a go at Apple chips!

As for the pears, Miss Breadmaker, you could make pear bread!

Pear Gorgonzola Pizza, pear butter…

Pear pickle! http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/pear_pickles.html

Yum, I’m getting jealous just thinking about it!

4. Monica Post author

I’m totally making apple chips. I might salt them, too. :-)
    Who knows, salt & pepper apple chips could totally take off as a fad. OR Salt & Vinegar!!!

5. Diana Morgan

Mmm – salt & cider vinegar apple chips – I like the sound of that.

Recipe following for Ohio chutney when I work out how to operate my scanner!

6. Monica Post author

Stephanie, I have another recipe mission for you – PEAR GELATO, a la Grom in Firenze!

Diana, looking forward to the chutney recipe. You could always take a picture of it. ;-)

7. Jes

Chutney’s go awesome on everything, in my opinion, especially if you give them some kick with peppers! You’ve definitely got a lot of good ideas & I don’t have anything new to add, but I can’t wait to see what you come up with!