First in a series of high protein vegan meals!
Tofu is a source of confusion for many aspiring chefs, vegetarian and meat-eaters alike. The trouble with tofu is that, when it doesn’t turn out well, it really doesn’t turn out well. I still recall my first attempt at stir-fried tofu, the soggy, gelantinous blobs that fell out of the skillet, ruining an otherwise edible pile of rice. A few more years and experiments later, I think I finally get it.
This recipe requires no marinating or special tofu prep – literally crumble it into the pan. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand to spruce things up, though we feel that the onion, soy sauce, nutritional yeast and cilantro are essential. Also, make sure you use firm tofu, not the silken stuff. To save on time, you can always use frozen veggies (we just discovered the joyful convenience of frozen diced onion – so wrong, yet so right).
Served with a slice of whole wheat toast, this meal has more than 25g of protein and fewer than 400 Calories.
- 1 block (450g) firm tofu
- 1 onion, diced
- 10 sprigs cilantro (coriander) with stems, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 mushrooms, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- Other veggies: bell peppers, jalapeno, broccoli, peas
- Put a frying pan on medium heat and add the olive oil
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until onion is soft and translucent
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into the pan and sprinkle on the turmeric. (At this point the tofu might give up a lot of water. If so, turn up the heat and let the water boil off. This is key to not ending up with a soggy mess.)
- Add the soy sauce and the remaining veggies and cook until veggies are tender
- Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and cilantro. Mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot with whole wheat toast and a side salad.
Makes about 3 servings. Per serving: 103 Calories (kcal); 14g Total Fat; 22g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate
(Scrambled tofu with 1 slice whole wheat toast: 378 Calories; 26g Protein, 16g Total Fat; 38g Carbohydrate)
Nutrition information derived from the USDA food database.
- Link to Wikipedia’s entry on Tofu
- Wondering what nutritional yeast is? Click here.
- Feeling like a fry up? These marinated tofu steaks are wicked awesome, and easy, too!
- Link to all recipes in the high protein vegan meal series