This is a riff on my usual bircher muesli recipe, with added carrots and cinnamon. The picture shows almonds in the mix, but feel free to use whatever nuts you have on hand. Walnuts or pecans would be more carrot cakey, but I really like brazil nuts. No cream cheese frosting here, but yogurt makes a delicious and much more nutritious topping. It you want to add extra decadence, try sprinkling with some toasted pecans just before serving.
Carrot Cake Bircher Muesli
- 50g oats
- 7g flax seeds
- 10g raisins
- 10g nuts
- wedge of lemon
- 1 large crisp apple
- 1 carrot
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- The night before breakfast, put the oats, flax seeds, raisins and nuts in a bowl and add water until JUST covered.
- The next day, grate the carrot and apple. Add to the bowl with a good squeeze of lemon juice and pinch each of cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
- Serve with or without toppings – I like mine with yogurt, coconut flakes and sliced banana.
Here are a few more creative ways to get your oat fix:
- Super Quick Bircher Muesli [botanicalkitchen.wordpress.com]
- Savory Steel Cut Oats [thefullhelping.com]
- Date Sweetened Carrot & Almond Porridge [kelliesfoodtoglow.com]
- Mardi’s Peanut Butter Overnight Oats [eatlivetravelwrite.com]
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal with Pecans [veggiedesserts.co.uk]
I’m submitting this to the #ExtraVeg linkup hosted by Veggie Desserts, Michelle Utterly Scrummy and Fuss Free Helen. Because mmmm, more veg!!