I’m a massive fan of Rick Bayless’s tortilla soup but when I’m in a rush, this does me just fine. The key is good stock and dried pasilla chile which gives tortilla soup its unique (and totally perfect) flavour. The best thing about this soup is the garnish potential!
You’ll need a high-speed blender for this – I use an Optimum 9200 from Froothie. If you don’t have one, you can blend everything in a conventional blender and then heat on the oven in a pot (let it simmer for at least 10 minutes to let the flavours blend).
Easy Blender Tortilla Soup
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 dried pasilla chile (I get mine from Cool Chile Co)
- ⅓ bunch cilantro (coriander)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ avocado, pitted and peeled
- ½ lime, peeled
- Tortilla chips
- Black beans
- Heat a frying pan and dry-fry the pasilla chilli for a few minutes so that it puffs up and changes colour. Remove the stem and seeds.
- Put the chilli, broth, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, pepper, avocado and lime into a high speed blender (I use an Optimum 9200). Blend on high for about 5 minutes or until hot and steamy.
- Serve with lime, cilantro and avocado garnish.