While in Chicago, my family was not only cool enough to throw me a belated birthday party, but my sister even surprised me with a vegan chocolate and zucchini cake served with whipped soy cream and berries. Folks, this cake was incredible. We were all blown away. The combination of chocolate and berries was delicious, and the soy cream really rounded everything out.
She started with the recipe from Chocolate & Zucchini, then veganized it using some special kind of magic intuition I only wish I possessed. Luckily, she sent me the recipe. I hope I get a zucchini in tomorrow’s organic box so I can try making this for myself.
Vegan Chocolate and Zucchini Cake
2 cups Whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Canola oil
1/4 cup Unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Granulated sugar
1/2 cup Light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Instant coffee powder
1.5 bananas (to replace 3 eggs)
4 Tablespoons Water
1/4 cup Soy Milk
2 cups Zucchini, grated
1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
3 Tablespoons Light brown sugar
1/2 cup Slivered Almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 360F/180c for 15 minutes.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan. You can use cocoa instead of flour.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour,cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mash the bananas. Once mashed, add the water and mix together.
- In a medium bowl add oil, applesauce, sugars, vanilla extract and coffee powder. Using a hand mixer beat the mixture at a medium speed for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the banana liquid and mix. Now also add the milk and beat until well combined.
- Reserving half a cup of the flour mixture, add slowly the remaining flour to the wet ingredients, while beating it in at a low speed. Combine the grated zucchini, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of flour. Add this to the batter and mix it well. Note that the batter is thick at this stage. So don’t worry.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and smooth it out using a spatula.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the brown sugar and almonds. Sprinkle this mixture evenly on the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.