I thought I’d start sharing my vegan breakfasts as I kick things up for the Healthy Vegan Breakfast Book. Today’s required some creativity with the veg box because I’m down to the dregs: a few carrots, half a swede (aka rutabaga to my American friends), a few broccoli florets, a head of cauliflower and a few lingering leaves of Batavia lettuce. Actually when I type it out like that it sounds like a lot of food, but I assure you the fridge looked sadly bare!
- Cooked quinoa (leftovers)
- Julienned carrot
- Julienned swede (my new favourite use for swede?)
- Red onion
- Broccoli, diced into small florets
- Currants soaked in boiling water for ~10 minutes
- Batavia lettuce
- Crushed red chilli flakes
- A pinch of ground cumin
- Tahini (~ 1 Tbsp) mixed with lemon juice (~ 1/4 lemon) and enough water to make a creamy dressing
- Salt and pepper
This takes inspiration from American recipes I’ve seen for broccoli raisin salad, and this recipe for raw cauliflower “couscous” that really intrigues me and is the likely fate of the aforementioned cauliflower.