As part of my 2015 Adventure Goal to complete the Ridgeway this year, I’ve been experimenting with raw snack bars to power me through the miles. This is the latest, receiving a 10/10 rating from my walking buddy. I make these in my Froothie Optimum 9400 which does a great job of grinding the nuts into a fairly fine powder and makes it easier to bind together the ingredients in the bars, but you could also use a food processor or other blender to make these.
Raw Orange and Cacao Energy Bars
- 1.5-2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 heaped tbsp of cacao nibs (I recommend Naturya Organic Cocoa Nibs)
- a small pinch of salt
- In a food processor or blender pulse cashews until coarsely chopped.
- Remove half of the cashews. Continue processing the remaining cashews until finely ground. Combine with the coarsely chopped cashews.
- Add the prunes, dates and orange zest to the food processor or blender and blitz into a paste.
- Add the cacao nibs and the nuts to the food processor / blender (don’t add all of the nuts at once – you might not need all of the nuts to bind theses together; it depends on the moisture content of your dried fruit). Blitz until everything has congealed together. Check the consistency – if it’s super sticky, add more nuts.
- Line a small container with cling film (I used a 4′ tupperware). Press the mixture into the dish with your hands.
- Refrigerate for half an hour and then cut unto pieces.
- Raw Prune and Coconut Bars
- Homemade Larabars
- Easy Nut & Date Bars [simplifyyourhealth.co.uk]
- Apricot & Citrus No Bake Bars [kelliesfoodtoglow.com]
- Sweet Potato & Fresh Ginger Protein Balls [veggiedesserts.co.uk]