We had a glut of bread last weekend. Two loaves of Belle Epoque french bread and one loaf of whole meal no knead bread, which we’re still getting through. The end result has been a lot of scrambled tofu, and it’s getting a little out of control.
- Breakfast: Bircher muesli with Early Gray tea
- Lunch: Big salad with roasted corn and leftover tofu scramble
- Snack: Egremont Russet Apple
- Dinner: Tim’s veggie spag bowl
Don’t get my wrong, I love tofu scramble, but variety is the spice of life! Here are a few things I’ve been thinking about lately. (Am I the only one who daydreams about food this much?)
- Chickpea salad sandwich spread. Approvchar’s latest tuna salad recipe made me hungry. Made with avocado and walnuts, I think chickpeas would work very nicely instead of tuna, plus it would give me something nice to go with my yummy bread.
- Stuffed acorn squash. Stuffed with what? I’m not sure. But I’ve got an acorn squash on the counter that’s making me hungry. I’m thinking puy lentils, or black beans, or quinoa, or this ginger and tamarind sauce that I’ve made before and enjoyed wholeheartedly. Then again, acorn squash is my favorite winter squash, maybe I should just enjoy it in its simplest form: roasted, with a bit of butter and brown sugar.
- Tofu steak. I need to mix up my tofu routine. In the past, we’ve really enjoyed marinated and pan-fried tofu. Heidi’s Lemon Achiote Grilled Tofu and Cumin-Spiked Tofu both look delicious, as does this Maple-Grilled Tofu, and this tofu steak with rhubarb cherry sauce. Though not marinated, this Skillet Tofu Parmigiana also looks awesome. Where to begin?
- Tempeh. I’ve got a block of tempeh in the fridge that needs eating. I’m not feeling the burger love at the moment, otherwise I’d be all over the tempeh sloppy joes. I’m thinking cornmeal crusted tempeh. Oh, but what to serve it with?!
- Vegetarian Sheperd’s Pie. Cassie’s lentil shepherd’s pie has been calling out to me for some time. So has this Veggie Lovers Shepherds Pie at gluten free goddess. This somehow got me thinking of pot pies. Tofu pot pie anyone?
- Eggplant Parmesan. Tim and I have been talking about making this for a while now. Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorite foods and a real treat to both cook and eat. All we’re waiting for is the right mood and a good chunk of time.
Help! I don’t know where to begin. What should I cook next? Leave your thoughts in the comments.